Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dr. Seuss and W.C. Williams


The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.


Retrieved from: The Academy of American Poets:
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15537


I hated this poem because I never understood it. Then I watched a friend present it to a class and was so fascinated by the kids' responses that I've fallen in love with it.  I really enjoy W.C. Williams' work.



Out there things can happen
and frequently do
to people as brainy
and footsy as you.

And when things start to happen,
Don’t worry.  Don’t stew.
Just go right along.
You’ll start happening too.

From Dr. Seus’ Oh, the Places You’ll Go!  (1990)  Random House.

I so love the good Dr.!  He had such a way with making sense out of nonsense.  Except when he didn’t and that prob’ly meant there wasn’t much innit…

 He had a wonderful way of pointing out what needed to be seen (The Lorax, Oh, The Places…,), and having fun with words and sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment